Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Decision

Prior to 'the event' that changed my world from being a happily married woman to a grieving widow, I never thought once about what dating in the 21st century would be like.

Fortunately, my late husband and I were not afraid to talk about those usually difficult subjects, such as, 'what if you die?' or 'what if I die?'  We had both agreed having someone else to share and enjoy the remainder of our years together would be what we would want for the other.  Because we did have those conversations (on numerous occasions through the years) it didn't feel awkward when I began having thoughts of remarriage after his death.  Naturally, with thoughts of remarriage came thoughts of dating.

Contemplating dating brought with it many decisions.  The first of those decisions was the timing.  When would be a good time to start the process.

When?  I knew from past life experiences, watching friends, and grief support groups that I should not even begin to consider dating until I had given myself at least a year to grieve.  So, as much as my heart (at times) lead me to thinking about filling that empty void with a romantic relationship, I decided to postpone dating until after the first anniversary of his death.  And boy am I ever glad I made that all important decision!

Little did I know how complicated and adventurous, all intertwined into one, dating in the 21st century could be.


2 comments:

  1. Amazing story and I will follow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart, you are so sweet, beautiful and have a kind, loving spirit. I know God has that someone special just waiting for you! I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete