Friday, October 4, 2013

The (not so) ideal man

So, I was now officially a member of the online dating world.  Time to explore who was out their awaiting me and me them.

I took some time to take a few 'hold the iPhone at arms length' pictures to add to my profile.  I didn't realize that all pictures have to be approved by 'someone who monitors the site,' before my pics would show up.  Before the pictures were approved, there were men sending messages requesting photos.  I guess I didn't do such a bad job describing myself after all, huh?  

With pictures posted and approved, I now set out to plug in some search parameters and see who would be a good match.  Remember all those multiple choice questions that I had to select from in creating my profile?  Well, now I could decide which of those qualities I would want in a match. 

Some of the choices I made were:  Ht 5'11 to over 7' (I like tall men so I can wear my high heels and still not be looking eye to eye), someone within 50 mile radius of my location (that at least gets me to Kansas City), non-smoker, non- or social drinker, OK if they have children (really wouldn't be fair to knock someone out of the running over child(ren) since I am expecting they will also accept my child), body type of 'slim' to 'a few extra pounds,' for hair color I selected all except 'bald'  (I do like my man with hair), etc., etc., etc.  I figured, if I were dreaming, I might as well make him a tall, dark, handsome, rich and committed Christian.  I mean, why not?  I knew I could always change the parameters later if no one showed up on the list. 

So I hit the send button and to my astonishment......this man who lives in my very own town showed up as my most likely match.  Oh, WOW!  This was NOT what I was expecting.  In fact, I was horrified!  The man staring back at me from my computer screen was no other than a man that I KNEW  had molested a child!!!!  I was AGHAST!  It quickly dawned on me, if I could see that he was on here looking for a date, then he could see I was on here as well.  If this man, with his dirty, little secrete was on ChristianMingle.com, how could I trust any of the men whose faces were staring at me, saying they were a good match.  I began looking for the delete button and I promptly removed my profile.  Wow, all that work (that I should have been putting into a school project?) vaporized in a moment of reality.  

Well, that was certainly not how I had envisioned my first online dating experience to be.  Over before it even started.  I began to wonder if this really was the best option for me.  Surely there had to be a better, safer way to meet men to date.  Clearly I need to do a little more research before I proceeded down the online dating path.   






No comments:

Post a Comment