Thursday, October 31, 2013

First Date Jitters

So within a week after signing up for the Matchmaker Service, I get my first call.  Josie, the matchmaker on the other end of the call says, "Hi Susan.  We have a match for you."  I scramble around for a piece of paper and pen so I can jot down the stats.  The matchmaker quickly rattles off:  His name is George (I immediately think of my dad who is named the same, hummm).   He lives in [suburb of nearby city].  He's 5'9" tall.  Has brown hair and brown eyes.  He has one daughter that is grown and out of the house.  He is a Christian and attends church weekly (sounds good, but I think about how little this tells me if he doesn't share my spiritual beliefs). Then there is the litany of activities he enjoys.  I note a few of them as camping, cycling, running, golfing, etc, etc, etc outdoor activities.

I agree to the match and Josie tells me that she will call George and if he agrees to the match she will give him my phone number and he will call me.

Josie calls back to let me know that George has agreed and that he will be calling me in a few days.  I take a few minutes to look at my calendar to see what evening and week-end dates I have open and available.  OK, it looks like any day in the next 7 days will work.  Sad, but true.

The next evening I get a call from George.  I was incredibly nervous but trying not to sound like it.  He sounded very nice and polite.  I notice right away how easy he was to talk to.  We set a date and time.  He wanted to come to a restaurant close to where I live and I would rather go to [a town] (half way between).  He says he will see what is available in [a town near me] and text me with the chosen restaurant.  The next day he suggests Applebee's.  I agree and we are set.

I immediately go out and buy a new blouse to wear with my jeans.  Any excuse to get something new, right?  I call my hairdresser and schedule an appointment to have my hair trimmed and styled the day of my date.  Everything seems to be working out.

He calls me the day before the date and tells me he has a boss coming in from somewhere far away and the boss wants to go out to eat the evening of our date.  He is very sorry, but he has to take care of work.  I understand that!  So we set the date for the next night.  Now my hair won't be as beautiful as my hairdresser makes it, but it will still be trimmed.

While getting my hair styled I tell my hairdresser about the date change and she offers to have me come by her house before my date the next evening so she can style my hair.  She is the best!

So I get dressed that evening.  Change clothes as I don't think I like the new blouse.  Then think I don't have enough color on so go back and change back into the new blouse.  I am SO nervous!

On my way to my hairdresser's house I begin to panic.  What if something happens and she can't style my hair.  I should have at least made it look presentable, in case.  Wow, could I be any more nervous that I am right now? But sure enough, my hairdresser is there and performs her magic!  I leave and am able to leisurely make my way to Applebee's.

Did I mention how VERY nervous I am as I arrive at Applebee's for my date?

No comments:

Post a Comment