Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Googling a date

So I learned about two potential dates on Monday (see Two Matches).  I must admit, I promptly forgot that the fork lift driver would now be given the option of going out with me since I had agreed to accept him as a date.  My entire focus was now on the unbelievably exciting possibility of having even a single date with a Cardiothoracic Surgeon.  I was giddy with excitement.

The thought occurred to me that just because he was a surgeon, who was (I might add) 6 foot tall, did not guarantee he would be good looking OR nice.  How could I learn more about him prior to his call?  I then remembered that Google can be used to find a personal physician, so why not use Google to find out more about a potential date?  I inputted the info that I had for the Surgeon.  His first name, his speciality and the Mid-West city he was from (that is closest to my rural town).  Really, how many Cardiothoracic Surgeons with his first name and who were his age could there be in that Mid-West city? After entering the information into Google search and pressing enter, a list of surgeons appeared on the screen.  I began reading down the list of first names.  Charles, no.  Sam, no.  Christy, obviously, no.  On down the list I go.  Then suddenly, there was HIS first name.  I clicked on the hyperlink that took me to a page on a hospital website that highlighted him as a Cardiothoracic Surgeon associated with them.  I quickly looked to see when he had finished medical school since I knew that would give me an idea of how old he was.  You can't go by the pictures to guesstimate an age, I've learned through the years, as the hospitals do not always update physicians' photos.  I guess someone out there thinks that physicians never age.  Ha.

The date he graduated from med school fit with the age that the Matchmaking Service had given me.  Wow.  I was impressed.  He was VERY nice looking and appeared almost shy in the way he smiled.  I was pretty sure I was going to like him!  After staring into his blue eyes for a few minutes (maybe longer, but who was keeping track?) and a few sighs later,  I decided to show the picture to my daughter.  "So do you think he's handsome?" she asks.  I reply with an emphatic "YES."  The first thing she takes note of is the hospital he is associated with.  They have a very competitive training program (they only take 10 students per year) that she had been hoping to get into one day down the road and it dawns on her that if HE recommended her, she would surely get in.  So she says, "Mom, I think he might be the one!"

So, I kept his picture handy and periodically referred to it (confident that the picture was actually the potential date) as I was now waiting for the expected phone call at the end of the week.  I also began to rationalize how if I was married to him (see how quickly things get out of hand in my world), we could tithe and we would be able to give well over $50K dollars per year to the church.  I was sure that God would want that and would be pleased if I could bring him on board.  I began telling all my friends about how hopeful I was.

As I spend days considering what could be done (tithing, giving, helping others and admittedly, thinking of spending on self) with half a million a year, I was reminded by God that all wealth comes from him.  I did not need a man to provide what I wanted as my Father in heaven is the owner of all things.

This verse is a prayer that David is praying to God after many people so generously gave to the building of the temple:

1 Chronicles 29:14

New International Version (NIV)
“But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment