Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Actor

One of the more interesting characters I have had the opportunity to meet was an Actor.  Looking back, it is now hard to tell what part of the date was for real and what part may have been just a show.

The Actor contacted me through an online dating site and asked if I would be interested in meeting for coffee to see if we thought we had enough in common to go out for a subsequent date.  Although I don't drink coffee, I am always in agreement for having a simple first date of coffee (or other drink) and conversation rather than committing to a complicated dinner date that is potentially difficult to maintain a conversation through. 

The Actor lived in a nearby large city and really wanted to meet me closer to my rural home (so many of them do!) even though I tried to convince him there just was NOT a coffee shop in the town near by me, he insisted he would find a place (using Google) for us to meet.  To his dismay, but after a valiant effort, he discovered that indeed there was NOT a coffee shop or similar place in the nearby town.  Hummm, did he think I was kidding?  His suggestion was Jimmy Johns (but he had never been in one--and they are not conducive to conversation in my opinion) or anywhere else that I thought would be better.  As much as I hated to suggest it for a first date/meeting,  I pointed out that the McDonald's actually had much better seating (high back, cushioned booths) and a better drink selection than JJ's.  

He texted me that Monday a half hour before we were to meet to tell me that he had arrived earlier than expected and would be waiting in his car (a two seater, convertible, BMW) in the right hand corner of the parking lot.  As it turned out, though, he decided to go inside and wait.

I did notice the familiar BMW from his profile picture as I pulled into the parking lot. I also recognized him (although he looked heavier than his pictures) as I stepped into the McDonald's.  We introduced ourselves, hugged and ordered.  I noted that he ordered the least expensive item on the menu, an ice cream in a cup.  I would have followed suit, except that I don't eat dairy so I ordered a small fruit smoothie.

We found a booth in the far back corner and began what became a fascinating two hour conversation.  We laughed, talked, smiled, and I giggled our way through a multitude of interesting topics.  He was very easy to talk to, while also being a great listener.  Those who know me (even for a few minutes) would no doubt describe me as an animated communicator.  It was obvious that he was the same.  

During the course of the conversation, I discovered he was semi-retired from the insurance industry but still maintained/serviced a handful of clients.  He indicated that he only worked about 20 hours a MONTH on those accounts.   He told me that he lived in a exclusive part of the city.  He had a Moto Guzzi motorcycle (apparently a very expensive German brand), drove a two seat, convertible  BMW, and had just won a "pain and suffering" settlement after being hit by a drunk driver while on his previous Moto Guzzi.  It had taken him the better part of the year to recover.  What he did in his spare time was travel (day trips as well as  internationally), act in local theaters, and ride his Moto Guzzi motorcycle (of which he had a picture on his profile page).

One other odd, side job that he also engaged in was working as a Standardized Patient for the health sciences departments of local universities.  Being a Standardized Patient is quite a fascinating as well as interesting activity!  Ironically, I had the woe of encountering Standardized Patients while pursuing my Master's Degree in Nursing.  For the uninitiated, a Standardized Patient is an Actor who is given a health scenario to assume so that each student can theoretically encounter the exact same patient as their fellow students for testing purposes.  For an example, the Standardized Patient (Actor) is told to be a patient with a cough.  They have a list of answers to tell the Student (who is doing a history and physical on the patient/Actor) about the cough.  But the Standardized Patient will not reveal all the answers unless the student asks the right, probing questions.  To a student, Standardized Patients represent exams!  As the Actor and I talked, I realized that HE had actually been the Standardized Patient that I had examined for my Advanced Health Assessment final exam.  We marvels at what a crazy, small world it was!

While I enjoyed his company, there were a few things that he had shared with me, that I thought I should carefully consider before going out with him for a second date.  One had to do with his age.  He was significantly older than me (12 years).  While my late husband was 17 years older, I had been questioning if I really wanted to remarry someone with a similar age gap now that I was older.  The other area I needed to carefully consider was his commitment (or lack thereof) to spiritual growth.  He did share with me that he had gone to seminary and had pastored a church in the very distant past, but was not really involved in a church currently, even though he stated he was not opposed to attending.  I told him that I would let him know the following day, if a subsequent date was something I desired. I told him, that if I did go back out, Friday would be my first available date.

A few hours after arriving home, I decided that the fun we had talking was worth the effort to at least get to know him a little better before I made a definite decision.  I texted him my decision.  He texted back that he was happy I wanted to go out and he would come up with something fun to do on Friday.    I couldn't wait to see what the future would bring.

Do not be overawed when others grow rich,
    when the splendor of their houses increases;
for they will take nothing with them when they die,
    their splendor will not descend with them.  Psalm 49:16-17



No comments:

Post a Comment