Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Two Matches

The matchmaking service that I joined early on in the dating process (see Another Way post) had been slow in scheduling dates.  They were supposed to provide a match every 4 weeks.  At one point (after my last day of class for the last class of my Master's program) it dawned on me that it had been 6 (SIX) weeks since they had called me with a match (in reality I had not noticed this before because I was busy finding my own dates online and finishing up coursework).  I paid way too much money for this service to not have a steady stream of matches coming my way.

So on Monday after the final class was complete, and just as I was contemplating what I was going to say to the Matchmaking service when I called them (anyone who knows me very well knows that making a phone call is a task that I will procrastinate doing for much too long!), my phone rang.  It was the Matchmaking service.  YES!

They told me that they had TWO matches for me.  Apparently they had been reading my mind that they  were slacking and were trying to pick up the slack.  Finally, a new date.  With all of my input on the past dates, I was really hopeful that these matches would BOTH be SO fantastic that I would have a hard time choosing which one to pursue.

I was told the name of the first date and then the biographical sketch followed.   WERE THEY KIDDING ME?!?  The Matchmaker said, "He's a forklift driver."  Quite honestly, after he told me  that I did NOT hear another thing he said.  But as I ALWAYS do, I said a polite, "Ok, I accept."  I do this, because the one time that I refused a date (a man that was only separated and not yet divorced--a situation that I DO NOT accept!), it took weeks and weeks for them to find me another match.  So I just bit the bullet and decided to take my chances (since there is not anything immoral about driving a forklift, why not?).  Maybe he was really a nice guy.  How bad could one date be?  So after accepting the date, the Matchmaker said the routine, "I'll call him to see if he will accept the match as well and if he does I will give him your number."

Then the Matchmaker said, the second match we have for you is [I'm not giving his name out for privacy reasons].  He is a (this is how they said it) heart and lung surgeon.  Oh WOW!?! Once again, I almost didn't hear another word the Matchmaker told me and this was not because I was upset.  I absolutely could not believe it!  A cardio-thoracic surgeon, really?  Do you know how much they make in a year?  About half-a-million a year!  Immediately, I start jotting down his statistics so I can figure out what we may have in common to strike up a conversation about should this dream really become a reality.  So then the Matchmaker asks the silliest question of ALL...."Do you accept this match?"  Was he kidding?  Does anyone really say, "No.  I really would rather not take the chance that a surgeon who makes half-a-million a year might fall for me?"

I tried not to sound TOO enthusiastic as I said, "Well, sure, I'll take him as well."  The matchmaker then changes his usual last statement.  He says.  "Good.  I have already talked to him and he has already accepted you as a match." Oh wow, oh wow.  How cool is that?!?  The Matchmaker followed that statement with, "I will call him and leave your number on his messaging service and you should expect to hear from him around the end of the week."  So, this was Monday.  How many days would I  have to wait until "the end of the week?"

No comments:

Post a Comment